||The hawthorn family of herbs is represented by over one hundred related species of small trees and shrubs found in North American and Europe. Many species bear fruit that persists throughout winter and supply an important food source for wildlife. These species are utilized in environmental plantings in many forestation projects. The hawthorn plant is very hardy and can tolerate a variety of climatic and soil conditions and have been used for erosion control.|
Hawthorn is one of the best herbs to boost the performance of the heart and the human circulatory system. The flowers, leaves and berries of this plant induce a potent vasodilator action helping to open up the arteries and promote circulation. This improves the blood supply to all the general tissue in the body. Regular supplementation with hawthorn can bring relief for most problems connected to poor circulation. This herb is an effective treatment for angina as it helps open the coronary arteries and improves blood flow to the heart. Hawthorn also softens the deposits in the arterial systems. Problems such as cardiac arrhythmia and mild congestive heart failure are often helped with hawthorn supplements. Results usually take some months to show themselves, though the herb is known to work well in a large number of cases.
Hawthorn berries possess a potent astringent effect. It is very effective in digestive issues. The berries relieve abdominal distension, diarrhea, and removes stagnation of food in the intestinal tract. Hawthorn remedies have a relaxing effect on the nervous system, which aids in relieving stress and anxiety. At the same time, it calms mental agitation, lessens restlessness and reduces nervous palpitations. This herb also induces sleepiness in people affected by insomnia. The remedies made from hawthorn also have a diuretic action, which aids in reducing fluid retention and helps dissolve deposits of kidney stones. The herb is also helpful for women during menopause as it helps relieve night sweats. In many gentle ways, hawthorn impressively addresses almost every major factor involved in heart disease.
Preparation and use__ Simmer 1/2oz in 1 pint of water for 20 min. with 1 tsp cinnamon__ Infuse 2 tsp in 1 cup boiling water for 20 min twice a day__Tincture - 1-cup hawthorn flowers, 2 cups brandy
Crush flowers in mortar, pour in brandy and macerate for one month away from light. Strain. Take one tablespoon in water twice a day.
- __Used to decorate the Maypole: thought to be witches who had transformed into trees
- __Used in wedding decorations to increase fertility
- __Leaves placed under a mattress or in a room will ease one sworn to chastity or celibacy
- __Carried on fishing trips to ensure a good catch
- __Protects the house from storms, evil spririts, placed in cradles to protect infants
- __Sacred to fairies and when it grows with oak or ash one may see fairies
- __Used to ease depression
- __Helps release feelings of disharmony and hate
- __Reinstates harmony and inner calm after a period of conflict or struggle
- __Renews self love and fortifies the heart
Visit Uriel on Myspace!